Sunday, April 15, 2007

Oliver Stone: "All Niggers Love Scarface"


BY GEORGE RUSH AND JOANNA RUSH MOLLOY
DAILY NEWS GOSSIP COLUMNISTS
Saturday, April 14th 2007, 12:43 PM


Oliver Stone may wind up in the same circle of hell as Don Imus now that the director has been accused of using the N-word.
Screenwriter Barry Michael Cooper says Stone whipped the racist epithet on him at an L.A. party shortly after Cooper's movie "New Jack City" came out in 1991.
"Oliver Stone's my hero, so I went over to him," Cooper recalls in StopSmiling magazine. "[I said,] 'Man, I love your movie 'Wall Street.' … He said to me, 'Okay, thank you very much. I bet you like [the Stone-scripted] 'Scarface,' too. All n—s like 'Scarface.'
"[Stone] stumbled off. Right before I could go after him and commit career suicide, [director] Stan [Lathan] and [hip-hop mogul] Russell [Simmons] pulled on my arm and said, 'No you don't. Let it go. That's just him, he's high.'?"
A rep for Stone didn't deny the account, saying, "We have no comment." The usually vocal Simmons also declined to comment.
Cooper still respects Stone. "I don't think he's racist," he tells us. "He was tipsy. We were all a little tipsy. I don't think he meant it maliciously."
But the Rev. Al Sharpton says the story "gives me a different look at Oliver Stone. I had some respect for his work. … We've got to stop this. We've got to start raising the standard of language. If [Stone] thought it was something cute that he was saying, it wasn't."

No comments: